Wednesday 7 September 2011

Medicine woes

Just to introduce myself.  I am Jackie and I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was at least 19.  It took me several years to be diagnosed.  I say since at least 19 because looking back it is very possible that I have had it since I was very young.  In the last 3 years I have been on several biological medicines and am currently on Orencia Infusions once a month.

I also take several pills including

Sulfasalazine - Azulfidine -Twice Daily - Disease-modifying antirheumatic drug

Arava - Leflunomide - Once Daily - Disease-modifying antirheumatic drug
Plaquenil - Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate - Daily - Disease-modifying antirheumatic drug
Methotrexate - evil drug- Once Weekly - Disease-modifying antirheumatic drug

Endep - Amitriptyline - Once Daily - anti-depressant - pain management

Noten - Atenonol - Once Daily - blood pressure

Orudis - Ketoprofen - Anti-inflammatory

There are both supplements and pain killers that I won't get into today.




Since we moved in May and I thought that I would make my life a bit easier by arranging to have my infusions at the new house.  I was told this would be no big deal that I could not only have them moved but have them at home.  Well apparently this is  not an entirely easy transition to make.  Not like I was lead to believe it would be anyway.  The ONLY company in Australia to distribute Orencia requires a completely seperate application from the Pharmacy for this particular drug.  So even if I can find a pharmacy that has an account, they will have to have an Orencia Specific Account in order to supply my infusion drugs.  Confused yet, well I sure as heck am, and so is the Chemist that was trying to get me my drugs today.  On top of that problem the infusion nurse has yet to get in touch with me anyway.  Meanwhile I apparently can't just go ahead and take my last appointment at the hospital that was giving me my infusions cause it is such late notice, I am supposed to have the infusion on Monday.

I have called my Rheumy's nurse and asked her what I could do.  Her response, "Well I don't know, maybe you could call the hospital."  I am thinking why are you employed since your ONLY job is to handle injections and infusions if you can't actually do that job.  I swear this woman keeps screwing up on me.  When I first started the infusions she sent the script to me instead of to the hospital.  Then I had to go out of my way to drive the prescription to the office so they could then mail it to the hospital.  Now I do realise that, that does not seem like a lot of stuff to have to do.  But just getting out of the house and into the car is all I can accomplish some days.  At the time I was off all biological drug therapy and the pills just don't work for me.  That short trip was all I could do for that particular day.

So at the end of the day, it looks like my infusion is going to have to be late, and I am exhausted, hurting, and wanna cry.  I don't like crying, especially when I am alone with the kids, but tonight I am being mommy dearest and I hate when I get that way. Oh and lets not forget that last night during a storm I went out to get something out of the car.  While going out I tripped and ended up on my knees and forearms with a twisted ankle.  Luckily it was only twisted, but the more I have been on it today the more it hurts.  I am afraid to look if it has been swelling or not.  I wanna go to bed, but will stay up a bit longer so I can actually see my darling husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment